It’s easy to get in a rut when you’re eating healthy. Get bored of eating that same old broccoli and you end up "falling off the wagon" fast.
Here's a unique side dish I make to keep eating healthy interesting.
Serves 4, Prep time: 30 minutes
Side dishes are usually an afterthought to the main course, but they don’t have to be, as proven by this easy, unique side dish.
You’ll start by roasting broccoli in olive oil, which intensifies it’s flavor. While the broccoli is roasting, you’ll prepare the houlloumi
If you’ve never had halloumi, it is a grilling cheese that is full of savory, flavor.
You simply cube it and toss it in a hot pan until it’s browned with crisp edges. Then toss it with the hot broccoli, add a squeeze of lemon juice and some toasted hazelnuts for crunch. It’s a side dish you’ll want to make again and again.
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces halloumi, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the broccoli florets with the olive oil and salt. Lay on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer. Roast until edges are lightly charred and browned, 20-25 minutes.
- While broccoli is roasting, heat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cubed halloumi and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pan, and add the hazelnuts. Toast for a few minutes until fragrant, shaking the pan continuously. When they begin to brown, immediately turn off heat and remove from pan.
- Toss the broccoli, cheese, and hazelnuts in a large bowl and drizzle with the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
FREE Recipes & Workouts!
Enter your name and email below to get all my latest recipes and workouts that help you get lean, strong, and fit...FAST!